We are a multi-award winning and highly-respected divorce/family law firm located in the Loop, looking for an self-starting, team-oriented and talented legal secretary to join our already stellar support staff. We handle a wide array of litigation including pre-decree divorces, post-decree modifications, child support, orders of protection, pre-marital agreements and a variety of other family law matters.
Our client base is rapidly growing and we are seeking a legal secretary that has the ability to to hit the ground running and quickly pick up our online file system and approach. In addition, our ideal candidate has experience in a divorce/family law firm, or a law firm setting in general, would be able to start right away and is not afraid to ask questions when necessary. This position would be in a part-time capacity, optimally four to five days a week for 20 to 25 hours a week.
The duties of our legal secretary will include the following:
1. Managing and updating the firm’s calendar to include court dates, appointments and new client consultations;
2. Inputting and keeping a watchful eye on all reminders and deadlines for pleadings, responses and various due dates pursuant to court order and the attorneys – and ensuring that frequent reminders are given pertaining to these deadlines and reminders;
3. Scanning, labeling, and saving all court orders, pleadings, and discovery when received and records management;
4. Confirming all appointments, depositions, consultations, and the like;
5. Preparing the attorneys for court appearances by way of compiling copies of pleadings, exhibits, and the like;
6. Maintaining and updating the firm conflict checklist and running conflict checks on potential new clients;
7. Trial, hearing, and deposition preparation by way of exhibit compilation and the like;
8. Retrieving and sending mail;
9. Ordering office supplies; and
10. Generally assisting our paralegals as needed.
We offer retirement benefits and your hourly compensation will be competitive and commensurate with the your experience and the legal community. We do not offer employer-sponsored medical or dental insurance at this time.
The office is conveniently located one block away from Union Station and a short walk from Ogilvie Station. If you prefer to drive, we have a highly discounted parking lot only a few blocks away.
If you’re interested in being a part of the high-stakes and exciting field of divorce and family law, with talented and energetic attorneys and excellent staff in downtown Chicago, please e-mail a one-page cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified and select applicants will be asked to participate in a short preliminary telephone interview to narrow down candidates for in-person interviews with the attorneys. This position will be filled quickly, so please don’t hesitate in sending your resume and cover letter – we look forward to hearing from you!